The tradition of baking a special birthday cake in my family always fascinated me. No matter how tired she was, the night before someone’s birthday mom doesn’t sleep much – she bakes Her Special Cake. it takes maybe 3 or 4 hours+the cake must spend a night in the fridge, but the results…O.M.G.
I haven’t seen my family for years already, so for the past few years I bake this cake by myself. To keep the tradition going, to cry a little bit, to taste this perfect birthday treat after all. And even though I can’t bake it for myself (my birthdays are not special anymore without it, but I’m surviving), I bake it for others – people I love. My cake is not so perfect, but there is always something special about it – how a person put his efforts and spend his time to make this honey guilty-pleasure with raisins and walnuts.
So if you want to make the people you love happy – this Russian birthday cake is here for you. I share my mom’s recipe and hope it will make a lot, a lot of people happy. And tomorrow it will make happy my 28-years old birthday boy 🙂 Happy birthday, dear. Hope it’s not the last party together.
Ok, let’s begin! How much are you excited?
You will need:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of honey+50 gr of sweet unsalted butter in the bowl, microwave for 1 minute.
- Add 0,5 cup of sugar, 2 eggs, a pinch of salt, baking soda+vinegear (1 teaspoon), 2 cups of the all-purpose (baking) flour.
- The dough is ready! Divide it into 4-5 parts (depends on how many layers do you want) and put in the oven one by one (temperature is 250C, time – max 10-15 min). Place walnuts and raisins before baking in each layer.
- Now is cream time! Mix 100 gr of butter with 1 cup of sugar + 500 gr of cream. Mix and whip it well! Add 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice to make the cream thick.
- Then start to build your cake, layer by layer, white cream in between. Save a little bit of cream to write something on top and cover the whole cake with chocolate cream (cocoa+sugar+cream+maybe Nutella)
- Put it in the fridge overnight and taste the perfection in the morning.
Wish that you always have such people around, who is ready to spend the whole evening baking a Special Birthday Treat for you. Love and be loved! Good luck!