Not exactly “dumplings”, but “pel’meni” (I know how hard it’s to read, sorry). something like pasta not with cheese, but meet instead. The process of making them is a lot of fun (you can gather the whole family+neighbors for this exotic cooking game) and the taste is perfect. When all of the dumplings are done, you need to freeze them for few hours and then put in the salty boiling water for 10 minutes. Done! Eat them with vinegar, sour cream, mayonnaise, ketchup, pepper, or (my favourite!) like a soup (sour cream+pepper+salt+herbs+bay leaves).
You will need:
- Ground-meat (turkey is preferable, but not necessary) – 1kg
- 2-3 eggs
- 1 onion
- Flour – 500g
- Salt, pepper, herbs
- Olive oil
Ok, let’s begin!
- Add salt, pepper, herbs, onion (chopped) and parsley flakes to the ground meat, mix well, put in the fridge for a while.
- Meanwhile start with a dough: beat eggs, add salt, mix well, add a little bit of water and the flour. Make a dough for 10-15 minutes. Keep it in the warm place for 30 minutes.
- All the fun starts here! Choose a dumpling shape you like and spend next few hours looking for a zen. It’s a relaxing process in fact, that makes you somehow calm and happy. And oh yeah, don’t forget to put some ice in the meat, it’s a good old trick that makes everything even better.
4. When all you strange shaped “pel’meni” are ready, dust them with some flour and freeze them well. Then you know what to do! Enjoy!
More Russian recipes: